Lesotho Chef de Mission for Lesotho Tokyo Olympics delegation Mr Letsatsi Ntsibolane said the 2020 Olympics will be held despite 43% of athletes failed to participate in the qualifiers.
Mr Ntsibolane divulged this information on Thursday after he had participated in a conference call on Wednesday with his counterparts and about 220 athletes from sports federations from all over the world about the challenge posed by the coronavirus pandemic on the Tokyo Olympics.
Mr Ntsibolane said there were three vital points discussed in this conference call: safety of all athletes, interests of athletes and working together with IOC stakeholders to contain this coronavirus. Mr. Ntsibolane said President of IOC Mr. Thomas Bach urged all athletes around the globe to keep on preparing themselves for these games.
This was contrary to the trend set by qualifications tournaments for the Olympics being cancelled for fears of COVID-19. Only The African boxing and Taekwondo were held in Senegal and Morocco respectively.
Mr Ntsibolane said so far 57% of athletes have booked their spots for these Olympics 2020, he said only 43% are still in the qualifying process. He said depending on the situation of this crisis, if this 43% fail to qualify, IOC will find ways to fill these spots and continue with the event.
Coming home, Ntsibolane said so far Lesotho has one athlete who qualified for Tokyo 2020 Olympics, Seutloali Khoarahlana, a marathon runner. He said their dream as Lesotho National Olympic Committee (LNOC) was to have more athletes qualified at the moment, unfortunately all athletes in Boxing and Taekwondo failed to qualify.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?